Skip to content

The Dining hall

This dining hall was only used for special occasions or in case the convent had several visitors. Besides, the room was also used for chapter meetings: the nuns met here not only to take important decisions but also to determine the punishment of any community member who had transgressed.

The eye catcher in the dining hall is the ceiling of stuccowork made in 1740. It shows the weapon of the benefactor, Brussels lawyer J.B. Stevens-Verdonck. The two other medallions represent a monogram of the Virgin Mary with crown and pierced heart and a monogram of Christ with cross and heart with three Easter Nails in it.

Another remarkable object in the dining hall is the big grandfather clock. It came from the former priory of Corsendonk. The under-frame of the clock dates from 1687 but the clock itself consists of older parts.